21st June 2023
It’s 2023, I can’t for the life of me work out why we’re still doing this but it seems we are so, here we go:
- Genesis 2:15. “And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed”
Shame did not exist in the Garden of Eden. God did not create women to be ashamed of their bodies, it is not in God’s good plan for us. Shame only entered the world after the fall. Whatever we choose to wear we should always know that our bodies are nothing to be ashamed of.
- 1 Samuel 16:7 “the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart”
God doesn’t care what you wear, God doesn’t even look at what you wear they are that uninterested in it. God is interested in your heart, do you love God and do you love your neighbour? That is what God is concerned with.
- Matthew 6:28 “And why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they neither toil nor spin” God doesn’t want us to worry about this stuff. In fact why am I even having to write this post? it’s so very trivial. God isn’t worried about what we’re wearing and they don’t want us to either. There are far more important things for Christians to be worrying about (like the fact that 1 in 4 women in their churches experiences Domestic Abuse)
- Mark 14:6 “leave her alone; why do you trouble her” Jesus said this in response to men ‘slut shaming’ a woman who they felt was making a spectacle of herself, laying at Jesus feet, covering them in perfume and wiping them with her hair. It’s one of several examples of Jesus saying “leave her alone” in response to men shaming women for their sexuality. Anoter example is when a woman caught committing adultery was brough to him (probably still half naked) and Jesus defended her and treated her with dignity and respect. Don’t worry about people complaining that your clothes are “slutty” Jesus isn’t into any of that kind of behaviour. Wear what you are comfortable in.
- Proverbs 31:25 “She is clothed with strength and dignity, she laughs without fear of the future” It doesn’t matter what you wear, Jesus has already clothed you with dignity, you are strong, you are dignified, your father delights in you, he is on your side, you need not fear mankind, nor the future.
And, as a bonus, an extra one for any men out there tempted to tell their sisters in Christ that they need to change what they’re wearing because it’s causing men to lust
6. Matthew 5:29 “If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away”
That’s Jesus advice for men struggling with lust. It’s never tell women what they can and cannot wear, it’s always “Take responsibility for your own sin” There seem to be a lot of articles on the internet, telling women what they can and cannot wear but I don’t see many blind men in the church! Man up and deal with your own issues, you don’t get to dictate what women wear.